Meet Dr. Mathew Ricks
It takes about five years for a new dentist to understand the basics of what he or she is doing, then another ten years to get a clear picture of the whole field, if said dentist is curious enough. Then one must stay current, because dental materials, machines, and methods are always changing.
Staying current is the most challenging thing I do--also the most rewarding. It has made it possible for me to understand laser gum surgery, TMJ and myofascial pain problems, implants and bone grafts, orthodontics, endodontics, oral surgery, sedation dentistry, and of course, general dentistry. Understanding the whole picture helps me see what is possible to make you look and feel better and healthier. It means there is something I can do to improve your life. Words come easily. It’s what we do at Smile Tucson that counts. Come check us out.
- Dentist commissioned corps, 06/1988 Indian Health Service － Anadarko, Oklahoma
- Co-owner, 12/1990 to 10/2013 Winslow Dental － Winslow, Arizona
- Sole Company Owner, 10/2013 to 09/2016 Winslow Dental － Winslow, Arizona
- Dentist/ /Tucson, AZ, 2016 to present// Owner Smile Tucson Dental March 2019
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Brigham Young University 1979-1984-Zoology － Provo, UT, United States
- DMD: Dental Medicine, 1988 Washington University in St Louis － St Louis, MO, United States
ASSOCIATIONS AND HONORS
- Member, American Dental Association, 1990 to present
- Member Northern Arizona Dental Association 1990 to 2018
- Member Southern Arizona Dental Association 2018 to present
- Member, Academy of General Dentistry, 2000 to present
- Member American Orthodontic Society, 1997 to present
- Member American Academy of Implant Dentistry 2012 to present
- Mentor for White Cap Implant Institute 2007(mentored other dentists interested in hands-on implant training).
- Gordon Christensen International Study Club, 2015 to present.
- 1970, Eagle Scout
- 1983 Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, for being in top 10% of College at BYU
- 1984 National Dean's List
- 1997, Silver Beaver Award for adult scout service and leadership
- 2010, FAGD,Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry( requires 500 hrs post grad continuing ed and an extensive exam covering all facets and specialties in dentistry.
- 2018, MAGD, Mastership , Academy of General Dentistry(requires 1100 hours post grad continuing ed with mentoring, and hands on learning in all 16 major areas of dentistry). In the past 47 years, a total of 3,494 dentists worldwide have received this honor.
I am still happily married with five children, all grown up. Outside of the office I usually can be found bicycling, swimming distances, or at some Boy Scout function. I love to whittle and wood carve ... and I am still a terrible golfer.